Blue Plaque Programme Click here for Schools Project
blue plaque programme in Cape Town is a project of the Simon van der
Stel Foundation and there are currently 19 blue plaques in the Cape
Peninsula commemorating famous people and buildings. The plaques are now
cast in ceramic to avoid theft and vandalism.
list of plaques in the Cape Peninsula is as follows:
Baron van Reede van Oudtshoorn's burial vault designed by Louis-Michel
Thibault (off Faure Street near Kloof Street)
The first Jewish service in Cape Town was held in the home of Benjamin
Norden leading to the founding of the first Hebrew congregation in South
Africa (now incorporated into the Mount Nelson Hotel and can be found at
the top of the driveway on the left).
Site of the first synagogue on a corner of Stal Plein (Old Belvedere
Site of the home of J.N. von Dessin (whose book collection by his
bequest became the first public library in South Africa) can be found at
corner of Wale and Queen Victoria Streets.
The hospital of the Netherlands East India Company stood on this site
1697-1782. Temple Chambers. Old B.O.E. Building, 4 Wale Street.
The site of the hospital and house of the principal surgeon of the Dutch
East India Company 1697-1724. The plaque can be found on the Old
Colonial Mutual Building, cnr Adderley and Longmarket Streets.
Sir Herbert Baker’s last building in South Africa (1933) - the plaque
can be seen on the front of the FNB Bank building in Adderley Street.
& 9. The plaque on the Woolworths Building at the corner of Adderley
and Strand Streets marks the first private trading site in Cape Town.
The plaque reads “Thomas Christoffel Muller set up here as a “free
baker” in 1664”. There
are 2 plaques on the Woolworths site – one in Adderley Street and one
in Strand Street.
Site of the Union Chapel and First Congregational Church in South
Africa. The blue plaque, a faded circular ceramic composed of five
pieces, was made by the famous ceramicist, Martin Zaalberg.
Mission House at 9 Church Square was the residence of Dr John Phillip
(1821-1846) and later became the Civil Service Club (1866-1976). It
burnt down in October 1979 and was subsequently rebuilt and occupied by
the Graaf Trust.
St Stephens Church in Riebeeck Square was erected in 1800, and was
originally known as the African Theatre.
The plaque at the site of the wartime SSS Radar Station at Cape Point
reads “During World War 2, Special Signals Services designed, erected
and operated secret radar stations to protect the all important Cape
Arthur Elliot, born in 1870 and died in 1938, was an American
photographer who lived in Cape Town and recorded Cape history through
his photographs. He lived at 134 Long Street.
Colonel Robert Jacob Gordon, last VOC Commander of the garrison at the
Castle, lived at Schoonderzigt Manor in Flower Street from 1780-1795. He
was an acclaimed geographer, artist and botanist.
18 Kloof Street - the original home of A.J. van Breda. The Rev. Fearon
Fallows, her Majesty's first astronomer at the Cape, lived here
(1821-1822) where he undertook initial observations from a hut in the
A plaque, donated by the Simon van der Stel Foundation was erected in
Strawberry Lane, Constantia on Heritage Day, 24 September 2009 to
commemorate the forced removal of tenant farmers who made a unique
contribution to Cape Town as strawberry, vegetable and flower growers.
Site of the Anglican Chapel and School built in 1860/61 to serve the
people of Constantia Valley – demolished in 1953. The plaque can be
found on a plinth in Constantia Main Road.
Schoonderzigt - dates from the late 18th century and was
owned by George Rex 1800-1804
before he moved to Melkhoutkraal, Knysna.
All enquiries or completed application forms to be directed to:
Simon van der Stel Foundation - Cape Town
Postal Address: PO Box 366
Email : email@example.com
|Telephone : 021 794 7464
Facsimile : 021 794 5480