Current Outings Programme
SIMON VAN DER STEL FOUNDATION OUTINGS FOR FEBRUARY – JUNE 2021
The organiser’s cell number is given at each outing. Make use of this service to establish whether an outing will proceed in case of inclement weather or to get directions. Use these numbers only on the day of the outing.
NOTE: we do not have an office telephone. PLEASE contact us via email.
- All the bookings are made via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Foundation is not responsible for any injuries or loss incurred during outings. Members and their guests take part at their own risk.
- Please note non-members are charged an additional fee of R25pp for outings booked (extra fee not applicable to lectures that are sponsored by the Conservator Trust).
- Requests for concessions on outings could be discussed with Pat in confidence.
- Banking details: ABSA Wynberg Branch Code 632005. Account 38019980011 Savings Account Simon van der Stel Foundation. Please state your name in reference column.
- EFT payments please (cash deposits attract bank fees).
- Only a limited number of people can be accommodated per outing. You are therefore advised to book early.
- Cancellation fee: 25%. Cancellations made 1 week or less before the event – no refund.
As per the Covid-19 protocol we are required to check the following with attendees – should you have suffered over the past 10 days from COVID-19 related symptoms, we ask that you consider remaining at home and update us accordingly. Masks must be worn for the duration of the outing.
Saturday 17 April 2021 at 10:30 Art in the Winelands: Rupert Museum & Spier Wine Estate Art Collection
Price – R250pp
Limited to 20 members.
Incl lunch – drinks for own account.
Not wheelchair friendly.
Organiser: Andrew Jones (082 928 2808)
Meet: Rupert Museum
Directions: From the N2 take the Baden Powell Drive (R310). Continue past Spier to the T junction where you turn right towards Stellenbosch. At the 2nd set of lights (by the Shell Garage) turn right into Dorp Street and then right again into Stellentia Road, the Museum is on your left.
Duration of outing: full day.
Enjoy a guided tour of the various exhibitions at the Rupert Museum, including the Pierneef Train Station panels and Anton van Wouw sculptures. Stay for a light lunch in the Museum Café and then drive to Spier for a guided tour of their art collection.
Saturday 28 August 2021 at 14:30 Illustrated lecture: Maritime histories by Brian Ingpen
Price – R50pp
Limited to 30 members.
Incl. juice & biscuits (sponsored by the Conservator Trust) Limited to 30 members.
Organiser: Lesley Cox (083 448 7016)
From an early age, Brian Ingpen walked the wharves and jetties of Cape Town harbour, stimulating his fascination with ships and their cargoes. Time on tugs and aboard ships as a schoolboy made shipping a focus that naturally led him to the South African Navy for his national service and three years with Safmarine. His career path led him into education that included time as Headmaster of Simon’s Town School and Pinelands High School. Combining his interest in shipping with his profession, he has played a role in developing the Lawhill Maritime Centre at Simon’s Town. He has written eight maritime histories his latest book will be available for purchase on the day. Should you wish to purchase his book, please bring cash.
Directions: From the N2 take the M52 off ramp (Raapenberg Rd/Forest Drive) to Pinelands. From Forest Drive turn left into Forest Place, right into Central Avenue and then to 4 Central Square.
Parking: in the street.
Duration: 1 hour
As per the Covid-19 protocol we are required to check the following with attendees – should you have suffered over the past 14 days from cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, lost sense of smell / lost sense of taste or been in contact with someone known to have contracted the virus, we would ask that you would consider remaining at home.
Should you have booked but be unable to attend due to any of the above symptoms, please let us know prior to the outing. Masks must be worn for the duration of all outings. Hand sanitiser must be used on entering any building or museum.