Cape Town City Hall, completed 1906

The Simon van der Stel Foundation

Is The Oldest Conservation Lobby Group In Cape Town. It Was Founded On The 8th Of April 1959 At The Castle Of Good Hope, Cape Town

as a National Body, with branches all over the country. The National Body is now known as the Heritage Association of South Africa (HASA) and many of the original branches are now affiliated to HASA. Although most of these original branches changed their names, the Mother City branch retained the original name.

What we Do

We Occupy An Established & Respected Place in Cape Town’s heritage network. As such we aim to be the voice of concerned individuals who care about the conservation of our heritage. We therefore promote the cause and participate in the protection of Cape Town’s heritage.

Read more

VIew of Darling St with Grand Parade and City Hall
Old Town House c1761 on Greenmarket Square

Blue Plaques

The Simon van der Stel Foundation introduced blue plaques in South Africa. This is an internationally recognised way to mark important historical events, sites or personalities.

Conservation Projects

We are in the fortunate position to have funds available in the Conservator Trust. These funds are specifically earmarked for conservation projects within our area of jurisdiction.

Panorama of Cape Town

Outings programme

Bookings are done  online via EFT or Snap Scan

Church Square

Gallery

Selection of some of our projects

Lion Gateway, The Avenue, Company’s Garden
Steenberg Homestead
Old Coal Store, Strand St
Boshof Gates, Paradise Rd, Newlands
Valkenburg Homestead

Donations and Bequests

The Simon van der Stel Foundation is a non-profit organisation and relies on income generated from outings, membership fees and donations from people who support our aims and activities.
Old Theatre/St Stephen’s Church, Riebeeck Square
Front page of the very first Restorica

Restorica

Restorica Was The Official Publication Of The Simon van der Stel Foundation.

The publication focused on historical buildings, antique furniture, works of art, historic documents, Africana, period building materials and antique vehicles. In partnership with the University of Pretoria, the 30 volumes of Restorica, published between 1975 and 1998, have been digitised and made accessible via the University’s online repository.